The Best Way to Build a Great Relationship (video)
How can we make sure that we have a love that lasts a lifetime?
There are 3 common factors in all successful relationships that allow couples to maintain a happy, sensual bond regardless of fights, arguments and disagreements:
1. ARE you there for me?
Dr. Sue Johnson discusses A.R.E. you there: Accessibility, Responsiveness and Engagement.
- Accessibility is allowing your partner to be able to reach you by being open and present with communication and activities.
- Responsiveness is really showing up for your partner on an emotional level – attuning to your partner when they are in emotional distress OR celebrating with your partner when they are in times of success.
- Engagement is helping your partner know you are attracted and connected to them, that you desire and want them, and they – quite frankly – matter to you.
2. The 3 Musts for Your Relationship
Gal Szekely, LMFT and Founder of The Couples Center notes that there are three must haves for all relationships:
- Friendship: Are you friends? Do you laugh, enjoy activities together outside of the home or look to the other to celebrate life with?
- Romance: Do you touch, do you kiss – and – do you have an emotional connection with trust, safety and priorities around each other?
- Sexuality and Passion: Do you know what makes your partner feel desired and sexy? Do you know how to make your partner feel desired?
3. Spending Time Together
Rita DeMaria, PhD. explains to us how time together – at least 15 hours per week – is key to building bonds, trust and connectivity. Whether its activities outside the home, being intimate together, or cooking meals, commonality and time together are crucial to the happiness and security of the relationship.
When it comes to love and relationships, we all want something that’s going to last. But even though wanting to be happy is a basic human instinct, making sure that we get there is easier said than done. After all, relationships are complicated enough when you have to worry about yourself, let alone be nervous about what your partner is feeling. There’s nothing worse than not knowing whether or not you are both on the same page.
A major problem that many couples run into is trying to figure out how to form concrete bonds without stressing over everything. But, according to our experts, there are ways that we can make sure that we have a love that lasts a lifetime.
Are you ready to test your relationship?
Try our 7 Dimensions of Relationships Quiz to see where you and your partner are at – it’s a great way to start moving toward a loving, sexy and fun lifetime together.
If you need more of these tips along with some practical, hands-on tools, join Gal and Liron for Love Made Simple: A Weekend Workshop for Couples Who Want More. Relationships take maintenance, and no one’s given you the manual—until now. Over just two days, you’ll rediscover your partner and greatly expand your potential as a couple.